Thursday, September 13, 2007

Train ride, South Africa









I stayed in Johannesburg for four nights and didn't do anything....I slept and hung out in my room, watched TV, read, did laundry, caught up on all of my blogging. I didn't leave the premises. I was also a bit fearful here.

The ride to the train station was through the hood and I was scared! When we finally boarded the train, they were offering Champagne for the "launch." I drank that in about 2 minutes. Then tea and coffee was offered. I asked for a shot of Jack Daniels. Yes, I got some weird looks from staff and passengers, but I didn't care, I needed something to calm my nerves. Then went back to my compartment and took in the sights. This is an overnight train ride and I meet 3 ladies from the States, they invited me to dinner and we sorta hung out during our meals and down time. I love trains! It wasn't the Amtrak, smooth ride, this one was bumpy and rolly, stop and start. But it was fun.

Traveling in Africa alone is harder than any other country I have been to. It is my second to last leg and I am very tired, plus being solo here is just plain tough. When you travel alone, you have to be on guard anyway, but here, your guard is on "high alert" and that is exhausting. South Africa has a large gang problem from what the locals tell me. Don't go out at night by yourself, watch your wallet and camera, muggings are frequent etc. Plus, in the last 15 months, 108 police officers have been shot. The gangs will bribe an officer, the other gang will find out and take him out. The police officers also have a high suicide rate. Sad and dangerous.

Cape Town is very neat though, and I would come back here to explore, only if I wasn't traveling solo.

No comments: