Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Bangkok, Thailand!















I arrived in Bangkok quite late at night and I am so glad I arranged to have a tour for the first part of my Thailand adventure. My tour guide was at the airport to greet me and take me to my hotel. His name is Tan and he is very smiley and informative. Today was my day at leisure to catch up on sleep and venture out on my own. Plus, the agent that booked my tour (who is Chinese and lives in Toronto, which is where I had to call) he called when I landed on my cell to make sure I was picked up. So I felt looked after and was glad I had a plan. When I walked outside the airport, it smelled thick and hot, but sweet too. Like flowers, jasmine or fruit....

The flight was 12 hours and I didn't get much sleep. Drunk old man arguing w/ the crew about not being served more alcohol bc they cut him off. Ready to throw him out the window....

Anyway, today I went to China Town. Originally I thought today I would just hang in the hotel and get my bearings, stick close to home. But I ended up waking up early feeling rested and healthy and couldn't wait to explore! I am an adventurer at heart I guess. On the plane I watched a Thai cooking show where an American chef came to Thailand to get inspiration for his recipes back home. One of the dishes for breakfast is a chicken pork rice soup. At a cafe this morning, I ordered it and it was great! They like having lighter meals for breakfast....

Here's what I know so far about Thailand:
95% Buddist, so a very friendly people
Called the "Land of Smiles", I also think it should be the "Land of Soup", they have tons of varieties of soup!

Baht is their money. 33 Baht is equal to $1 dollar...

Kingdom= They have a King. He has been in rule for 60 years and the people love him bc he works for the people. They wear yellow on Mondays to honor him bc he was born on a Monday and I guess yellow is color of honor, not sure yet. He is 79 years old. The King was born in Boston of all places. His father was educated at Harvard. The King's uncle was the King prior to him but had no sons, so his nephew took the throne...

Monks, wear orange robes. I guess they only live on the food that is given to them and they will only eat meat if it is given, they cannot order the kill of the animal. In the cooking show I saw on TV, the monks come out very early in the morning and receive the food and gifts from the public, then they give blessings to these people. Women are not allowed to hand anything to the monks or shake their hands.

I took a water taxi to China Town. Had to catch this water taxi from my hotel, then catch another Express boat to the pier for China Town. I missed that pier by 3 stops, had to get off, wait for the next Express Boat, pay another 18 Baht and go back. Oh well, it wasn't obvious and I just laughed. China Town is interesting, low quality products I was told and a place to barter. I have a cheat sheet for simple phrases and have been using that. Similar to Hispanics, the Thai are very appreciative when you try to speak their language.

At the market, the white flowers were sewn together w/ roses. I don't know what you are supposed to do w/ it, but they smell delicious!! I bought one and wore it around my wrist and just basically kept smelling it all day! Smells like orange blossoms. Bought some hairbands and cute barrets since I will be wearing my hair up here. I don't really need anything anyway.

Tuk-Tuks are the 3-wheel motorized carriages, I haven't ridden in one, some may take you for more money since you are a tourist so I will wait for guidance from Tan.

Khup Khun Kaa--thank you (women end in Kaa, men end in Khrap) :)
La Ka Towrai--how much is it?
Sawasdee Kaa--Hello, prosperity

The water taxi and Express boat are on the Chao Phraya River, very dirty not bc of trash or garbage, just muddy, murky dirty.

I could not identify many of the foods, meats, seafood things at China Town, think mexican market times 100. I thought to myself, "hmmm, what is that? Eww. That's nasty." I won't eat street food from vendors from what I have been advised, restaurants and hotel food will be ok, plus my tour includes meals and I don't think they are in business to poison their clients.

Back at the hotel and have spa afternoon w/ Thai massage and facial. Pampering is cheap here and I plan to take advantage of it :)

No comments: