Saturday, August 18, 2007

"Trailers" from Thailand

I just wanted to follow up on Thailand before I switched to Africa. I only had a few moments to write in Bangkok before I left.

Everyone says Bangkok is good for 2-3 days max, and they are right. However, I am glad I was there. My hotel was on the river and that made it extra special. The landlocked hotels weren't as cool and one of the best memories is right after the sun went down I was sitting on the pier. Looking at the Thai boats going by thinking "oh my gosh, I am REALLY in Bangkok!!" a bit in disbelief, the hotel had white lights strung about and it was just a great moment.

I also really liked Chiang Mai. If I were to go back, I would go north again and maybe take the train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and then maybe head to Chian Rai as well.

The guides I had were outstanding! Very friendly, informative, professional. I really enjoyed them and glad I signed up for those tours. They gave me a real insiders perspective as well.

Thai food I can't eat every day, there was a selection of non-thai food to chose from, so it was good to have a balance.

i thought Phuket was like one little town. But it is more like an area. Like San Diego w/ little beaches, Pacific Beach, Mission Beach etc. Phuket is the big area and has little beaches like Kata Beach, Patoong Beach.....

Koh Samui was much more expensive and didn't have the hilltribe influence the north does. This is more for relaxation and water sports, diving, snorkeling and sunning yourself. The shopping wasn't as good and the quality was poor compared to the other markets in Chiang Mai. But the water was fabulous at Koh Tao, the colors were amazing. I spent that day w a French girl, Patricia, who was also traveling solo. We pal'd around together and had a good time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello Holly,
We love thai food. Hope you have some good receipe for us. I(Ayca) tried once and it was a terrible experience but I did not give up. I am glad that you are having a different experience. Hopefully you would have Turkey experience too when we are there too.

Again thanks for the gift and hope to see you soon!!!

Ayca&Cengiz