Friday, August 10, 2007

Starbucks Who?!





Leaving the Meo Hilltribe (which by the way required a 4-wheel drive truck--road too muddy) I love 4wheeling!! we stopped at a local coffee house. The view from the deck looks down upon the coffee plants and homes of the workers. I was the only customer and even though I don't drink coffee, I had some..."when in Rome" I guess. It was very strong and black but had alot more flavor than I expected. I bought two small bags for gifts. The woman who worked there also worked for the univeristy that runs the coffee house. She told Sompop that it must be a nice lifestyle to be a westerner. I guess we are viewed to have a high quality of life and compared to these people we do. Europeans are viewed as westerners as well, not soley Americans. After thinking about that, I realized that I used think of Europeans as being vastly different than Americans... and far away from the U.S. But really we are more like them than any other culture. High standard of living, belief systems, education, resources, money etc. I view Americans and Europeans in the same boat now after being in Thailand, bc culturally, Southeast Asia is VERY different.

No comments: