Saturday, August 4, 2007

Golden Buddha Temple, Bangkok









The Golden Buddha is a 5.5 ton statue of Solid Gold! It is 700 years old and was covered in concrete to hide the true value. Only 50 years ago did part of the concrete chip off to reveal the gold underneath. It is now on display at the temple.

There are at least 30,000 temples in Thailand, Buddhist Temples. I got to visit three yesterday as well as the Grand Palace, where the King can live if he choses or house Royal visitors. Similar idea to Buckingham Palace in London, it is just one of many homes.

I need to back track a moment, my spa experience. I got a salt scrub, a Thai massage and a facial. The salt scrub is an exfoliant and I have had these before in the states, very nice. Most massages in the States don't do your stomach bc that is an area where people might be self concious as well as storing lots of emotions. She did my stomach and then my bossom...Whoa! Hello! I guess that is a part of the body as well.....very professionally done though. A body is a body. the Thai massage part was interesting. I could have opted for Swedish or Sports but, I can get those any old time back home. When in Thailand, do Thai massage. I wore cotton jammies for this, baggy pants and shirt w a sheet over me. I couldn't believe how much pressure this small woman was putting on me, I can't handle deep tissue so I asked for medium pressure. I realized the little bugger was walking on me!! Thai massage incorporates stretching and pressure points. Thank goodness she was only like 90 pounds! She was walking on the back of my thighs while having hold of my ankles and pulling my feet toward the ceiling.....Uncle! Uncle! I misread the brochure, I thought I signed up for Thai massage, not the WWF Smackdown Treatment. I was worried when I had to roll onto my back, where was she gonna walk now? She didn't, but she did manipulate my body in positions only Gumby can relate to, and I am not a flexible person to begin with. This little Thai Acrobat w/ Hercules Hands. Not that being on the torture stretch rack is enough, Herc proceded to hit my legs and feet and shoulders w/ her fists. Ahhhh, Very relaxing. When I had to shower, I accidentally walked into the closet bc I was so disoriented, Herc says, "hey lady, showa ova here" (actually I heard hey rady) but anyway... I finally got to the right prace. And I am sore today. But at least I can touch my feet to my head now.

Ok, Golden Buddha Temple. When Buddhists go to pray, they can buy 3 sticks of incense (one for the Buddha, one for his scripture and one for the Buddhists Monks)....they also bow 3 times for the same reasons....so 3 sticks of incense, one yellow candle and 4 gold leaves. These gold leaves are very, very thin and square in shape about the size of a dime. Each leaf comes in between rice paper bc you can't touch the gold, it will stick to your fingers. You light the candle and put it in a tray, light the incense and stick it in a big bowl of sand so it stands up. Then you peel back the rice paper and stick the gold leaves to these small statues of Buddha, making a wish or prayer w each one. You also can buy a lotus blossom to include in the offering as well. The gold leaf is to symbolize prosperity. These are all offerings to Buddha, the food, gold, incense and flowers.

We asked if I could take a picture of the monk w his persmission.

My tourguide, Tan, is standing next to a guardian statue of the temple.

The monks are meeting and learning scripture and manner.

Thai men are supposed to go into the monkhood for a period of time in their lives after 20 years of age. They can choose how long, 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years, a life time etc. They learn Buddha's scripture, manner, meditation etc. They live off of the food the public gives them and they cannot eat after 12 noon. They also have free but modest accomodations funded by donations I think. Recently there has been a problem of young boys that join monkhood for the "free ride" but they are cracking down on that and making sure these men are serious and dedicated monks. They also do not work. Monks can chose which temple they want to be affiliated with and have the freedom to travel to other temples to learn about those as well. Once a boy decides to become a monk for a short time or his life, when he comes home to family and actually all the time for that matter, he is on his best behavior. He cannot play and wrestle w/ his siblings like he did when he was little. The robe and manner are taken seriously.

No comments: