Saturday, August 25, 2007

What the hell kind of law is that?!--Zanzibar

Ok, if you are driving a car and accidentally hit, maim or kill a pedestrian or bicyclist....don't stop to help. Keep going.

Yes, it is true. The people from that village will attack and kill you. Maybe not kill you, but attack you. This does not make sense to me. AT ALL. So if I am driving and I hit someone, don't stop to help and take them to a hospital? Nope, keep driving. The people are angry and will come after you for revenge. They will beat you up or beat you to death. They are more focused on that than helping the injured person....They can go to jail and be in prison for lifetime and they voluntarily beat or kill the driver knowing this. They always assume it's the driver's fault. I don't get it.

I cannot get my head around this. I had this conversation w/ Manuela, the italian woman and Sakiki, her African fiance. They told me a priest last year, accidentially hit someone, took him to the hospital and the people ended up killing the priest. The priest was also said to be verbally abusive to the locals. Something doesn't add up for me. I asked Kassim THREE times to explain this law to me. I just can't grasp it, especially for such loving people it seems. He said it mostly likely wouldn't happen to woman, well that's good to know, plus I am not driving. But holy crap!! Scary.

When he was driving too fast and furious, I kidded him and asked him to slow down so he wouldn't run over anybody, I don't want my tour guide killed, I need him for my trip!

I guess this is a reality here and angry moblike activity can happen, it depends on what part of the country you are in........

No comments: