Saturday, August 11, 2007

Phuket




If you recall, 3 years ago the huge tsunami that took over 200,000 lives was here in Phuket. It is basically a peninsula w/ several little towns. I am farther south than where the big waves hit. I can't get much info yet on the devestation, looked for a museum here as well, to no avail.

For the last 3 days, I have pretty much not ventured more than 100 yards from my hotel. I don't feel like sightseeing. I just want to do nothing. My first night my room smelled like sewer and the construction people were hammering on the wall until 10pm. I asked to have them move me. I moved across the hall to another room and then the air conditioning didn't work. Sweet.
It's all worked out now....

However, I hit the wall for homesickness. Two nights in a row I have called Ric in tears. Missing him, my family, my friends, my kitties--will they remember me? I did not anticipate on being homesick at all! I was so gung-ho and ready for adventure, I guess month #3 it hits. I am better now and he is supportive, reassuring, and gives a gentle nudge to keep on keepin' on.... thank you Ric. :)

I also emailed lots of my girlfriends and called my girl, Stacey also. I just needed to be in contact w/ my peoples and see what's happening at home.

The first day I laid on the beach and put tons of sunscreen on... SPF 50 and 30!, even went inside for a few hours to take a break from the sun. So I have a fabulous splotchy sunburn. That's just great. My first freakin' day to see the sun and now I have to stay inside like a sunburnt albino watching the normal kids play in the pool. Guess my poor skin didn't get to see the sun in NZ.

Several topless ladies here. I'm thinking hmmmm this is a family place, but then I realized, maybe Americans should be less modest. Maybe the Europeans have it figured and are more comfortable with their bodies and therefore don't feel the need to alter it w/ surgeries..they are more natural.....however, I am still a modest American, top stays on.

I stayed inside this morning and tried to blog. The hotel has only ONE computer for the entire hotel. Went to the internet cafe across the street for one and half hours typing and the web didn't save my entries!! I was furious! cuss words a flyin'....so I had a cow about it, bought a long tee-shirt moo-moo thing to wear in the pool over my swim suit so I can go play, and had a couple mai thai's.....feeling better. :) Got booted out of my lounge chair during my yummy salad and 2nd mai thai by a French couple bc apparently THEY were sitting there, hmmmm the chair was vacant the first 2 hours I've been at the pool. gotta love the french.

Heading out tomorrow for Koh Samui.....an island in the Gulf of Thailand.

No comments: