Friday, July 13, 2007

Hell's Gate--Rotorua, NZ






Hell's Gate is named bc it looks so menacing. I walked up into the park for about an hour. The smell of sulphur and the steam and bubbling was so majestic!! It is still in it's natural state and each pool had it's own sound. One was bubbling furiously, one sounded like a sauce simmering on the stove (blub,blub,blub) then one sounded like rain bc it was a small, fast, shallow boil. There was a camera crew taking video and pitures. Apparently they were filming a section for THE AMAZING RACE. I didn't realize this until I was in my mud bath and sulphur spa, but the contestants were running up the hill to find their clues and next destination. At first, I thought how cool! The Amazing Race! Then I realized they all looked haggard, worn out, stressed etc. I thought that they don't get to take the tour of the park and see each formation, take a mud bath and sulphur spa, then get a massage. I already am on my "own" AMAZING race. Not really racing anyone or anything, but it is amazing, I felt sorry for them and happy for me. :)

This is one of the best experiences yet. So rustic and still in it's natural setting. With all of the sights, smells and sounds combined, it made for a great experience.

No comments: