Thursday, July 19, 2007

Wellington, NZ




I stayed at the Museum Hotel in Wellington, the capital of NZ. This hotel was actually "relocated" from across the street. They moved the whole building itself across the street to make the hotel and then in it's place is the actual museum.

I have not been feeling well, so I pretty much stuck to my room and tried to rest.

I went to the bar in the hotel to order a hot drink. I asked the bartender,
Do you have a hot toddie?
Nope.
Do you have a hot whiskey?
Nope.
It has hot water, whiskey and sugar in it.
Nope. I don't know what that is.
I just told you. Ok, How about a hot cider?
Nope. We're not in America anymore.
Really? hmmmm. I'm not in this bar anymore either.

Let me just discuss customer service. The United States ROCKS with customer service. If you have ever worked in the service industry, restaraunts, bars etc you will be able to relate. In the states these people make below minimum wage for hourly rates and depend on tips as the majority of their income, haveing to claim at least 8% (or this was the case when I was in college). Everywhere else I have been in my travels, tipping is not customary. To anyone at anytime, no tipping. These people can make like $17 dollars an hour and so tips is not part of their income. Therefore customer service suffers. Especially in France. I was so parched, it was hot and I drink alot of water. They don't. I felt like an old western movie crawling through the saloon doors, with a thick, dry tongue having been riding across the desert and begging for a drink. Dry, dusty, tumble weeds blowing by, but no, I was in France, no water shortage and I was soooooo thirsty! When they do bring you water, not just in France but abroad, it's a like a little sippy-cup size, I'm thinking that's a like a shot of water, line em up1 Traveling abroad, people in the service industry don't care if you get served today, tomorrow or next year! Additionally, like in the case above, some won't go above and beyond to even help or find out what is needed.

In order to get from the North Island to the South Island I had to take the ferry going over The Cook Straight. These are huge ferries and I had to drive my car onto it, the trip takes 4 hrs. I was nervous about driving onto the ferry, you have to queue (line up) outside and just drive and park on board...it all worked out.

During the trip, a fabulous rainbow came out. A full huge rainbow. It was beautiful!!

No Shoes--I am freezing here, but every time I look around, there are kids running around w/ no shoes!! Outside, on the ferry, in the dirty, wet parking lot, on the beach, in the food stores, everywhere! Put some shoes on those kids1

No comments: