Monday, July 30, 2007

Queenstown, NZ




The weather cleared today for our flight out to Auckland. I am so glad we got stranded here. Queenstown is absolutely beautiful. The town surrounds the lake and the snowy peaks jet up against the skyline. Absolutely beautiful. Lots of cozy pubs and restaurants, with fireplaces and Speights beer on tap.

Yesterday at the airport, the flight was cancelled bc of bad weather. Interestinly, there are two airlines in this small airport. Air New Zealand and Qantas. We are on Qantas. Now each airline can determine their own safety measures. Eventhough Air New Zealand was flying out in the bad weather, Qantas would not. It wasn't the airport that was making the final call if or when the airplanes could fly, it was the airlines themselves. So we watched the Air New Zealand planes take off. Additionally, Qantas is rated as one of the safest airlines to fly. That is comforting to be on a safe airline, but the kicker is the awful customer service. Qantas had a plane full of passengers that were on the cancelled flight. We were all standing in queue to talk to the agents behind the desk. This is when they decided to take a break!!!!!! I was like are you f***ing kidding me? There are 75 people waiting in line to see if they need to take a bus to another town, book for tomorrow, is there a later flight?? what?? They took a break and were chatting amongst themselves behind the counter! I was absolutely FLABERGASTED!!! Are they stupid? These passengers are stranded in Queenstown, one passenger offered to drive people to Wanaka, a nearby town. I was beyond mad on their behalf, I had a cushion since I allowed an extra day to fly to Thailand. So I went back and got the rental car I had just turned in and we drove back to the hotel we just checked out of to spend another night. Called on the phone and figured out our flights. The connecting flights is what the hard part was. Taking a break when there are 75 people needing help...get real, I was fit-to-be-tied.... I figured I best leave the airport before I shot my mouth off. Absolutely NO customer service what-so-ever.

On a better note......Today is a gorgeous day and the weather is bright and sunny, Yeah Sun!! I love you Sunshine!!

Will post pictures when I can upload from camera. Won't allow me to do so on the airport computer.

Feeling good and ready for the next chapter....

1 comment:

Trilogy lady said...

I'm Lani's Mom Holly. She turned me onto this blog and wanted to say how much I've enjoyed it. It's a hoot. Holly should write for a travel mag. She'd certainly spice that sucker up a bit. I had "heaps" of laughs and love the pics. Continue your fun adventures and stay safe.