Friday, July 13, 2007

Taupo--Huka Falls Hike







I needed to get out of the commercialized tourist race and get into some wilderness, my stepdad would be proud. I bought a tramping book (hiking) and found a trail near the town of Taupo. Huka Falls! 4 hour hike according to the book except I did it in 2 hours and 24 minutes!! I rock! I also took half hour at the dam, so in total, 3hrs 15 minutes. My butt is sore!! The hike follows the Waikato River, which is the longest river in New Zealand. I hiked up to the dam. The dam only opens for a half hour a few times a day to let the water through, I happened to luck out and get there just in time. When the dam closes, water is still running, just very slowly and the water pools in the open spaces. There is a hydro station along the hike which controls the dam.

No comments: