Friday, July 13, 2007

Holly's Night Out--Taupo





I was still feeling sorry for myself since Ric had left and I was alone again. Traveling solo is great, but after having such a great companion and then going back to adventuring solo, it is a tougher adjustment than I thought. I had bought groceries earlier in the week bc I don't want to eat out every single meal, so I'd been having soup at night and granola bars and fruit in the morning.

After my hike, I thought I would venture out on the town!! So glad I did! I had dinner at a place called The Shed. Met a nice couple and their both of their 17 year old daughters. Another guy was a workmate of the couple and he does alot of outdoorsy stuff so gave me some good ideas of what to see. His parents own a FARMSTAY, so he explained to me about how those work as well. I will be staying at a Farmstay on the South Island....sheep ranch! I will write about that after my adventure there.

Beers: I have been told there are social status's that are associated w/ what kind of beer you drink here in NZ. Similar to wine, the cheap stuff or the good stuff.

Tui--students drink this, easy going attitude and "rugby heads"
Stella Artois and Heineken--Pretty boys and BMW drivers
Speights--more rugged, farmers and mountain men

Anyway, back to my night out. Taupo is a small town, 20,000 people, so it's not a huge city. There was a bar/club open w/ a rockin' dj. Appearantly it was costume night, something to start w/ P, was the theme. There was a bus tour of people, a bit younger than me that were on this tour from Perth, Australia. None of them had known each other before they signed up so they had only been traveling a few days around New Zealand when I met them. THEY WERE HILARIOUS!! I had so much fun!! Dancing, trying new beers etc. One guy with the feather mask couldn't see out of it and the feathers kept sticking to his lips, so he'd spit it out!....I got such a kick out of it! I laughed and laughed, had a ball! I got home safely and was really glad I took myself out. The guy in the pink sweater w/ their bus driver/tour guide!!!

No comments: